Following perennial wisdom of any sort is really (really!) hard.
My preferred brand of it comes from the teachings of Jesus and just a small dose of it is enough to break my brain…
- When they strike you on one cheek, give them the other one also.
- Forgive those who persecute you.
- Lose your life in order to gain it.
- The meek shall inherit the earth.
- God loves the spoiled son more than the obedient one.
- The rest of the flock is abandoned for the one idiotic sheep who got lost.
I mean, what do we do with this?!
Unlike practical spiritual advice, perennial wisdom sets out to obliterate the ego, not pander to it. The latter doesn’t sell books like the former.
Practical spiritual advice makes me feel good inside. Perennial wisdom makes me want to crucify the one who gave it to me.
But this is why I’m drawn towards it. It’s so different and more radical than any other way of living I’ve ever followed.
I have to say, though — I miss you, Law of Attraction. You were so much more comforting to my ego.